Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ubuntu Server Upgrades Complete.

I installed my Ubuntu Server back in December of 2008 to run my StatusNet community (formerly known as Laconica), and needed to have a Linux based LAMP stack for a platform.  After hacking together my htaccess file on my hosting site to get clean URLs, I realized that it was going to be impossible to do more sophisticated things down the road.  I opted to go the pure route of setting up my server to be all command line (CLI) as opposed to having a GUI running.  It brings back memories of my days on Unix but this way I could refresh my terminal skills.  

I had 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" installed since that was the current version at the time and had done numerous upgrades to StatusNet (about 9 versions) but really had not need to think about upgrades to the server itself.  The upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" went pretty well, completing in just a few minutes.  

Release Update: sudo do-release-upgrade

In this update I noticed that it had messed with my Apache Root Directory settings and had set them to the default of "www" as my root and was not allowing any connections.  A quick tweak to the default config file and my site was back up.

Set Apache Root Directory: Edit the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
Reboot Apache: sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart 

Once the root was set to the correct directory, "AllowOverride" was set to "all" instead of "none" and a reboot of apache got things back on track.  I didn't notice this to be an issue in the subsequent upgrades from there.  I then proceded to upgrade from 9.04 -> 9.10 "Karmic Koala" and then from 9.10 -> 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx.

The upgrade from 9.10 -> 10.04 had a few issues with Java and PHP5 that needed to be fixed.

Java Update in 10.04:

Java apparently had moved from the default repository to the partner repository so I needed to add that repository:

Add partner repository: sudo add-apt-repository “deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner”
Update source list: sudo apt-get update  
Install Sun Java: sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

PHP5 bug in 10.04:

 PHP5 aparently has a bug (#573436) that causes PHP to spew errors even though it seems to work.  The error is: "comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/mcrypt.ini on line 1 in unknown on line 0".  This was fixed by replacing the "#" with a ";" so the forums came though with a fix:

PHP fix:  
cd /etc/php5/cli/conf.d 
sudo perl -pi.bk -e 's/(s*)#/1;/' *ini 
sudo mkdir bk 
sudo mv *.bk bk

The got things up and running and despite the few glitches I ran into, I cannot imagine that an upgrade like this on Windows Server would have taken me a week and not an hour or so. Long live open source! ~Lou

1 comment: